PES Power System Relaying and Control (PSRC) Committee is responsible for the development of standards, guides and reports covering different aspects of protection and control of electric power systems.
The PSRCC technical subcommittees have numerous working groups that are working on new and existing standards and guides. Updates are as follows:
The System Protection (C) Subcommittee reports: C25: Report on Protection of Wind Electric Plants Published on the PES Resource Center PES-TR87; C28: C37.242 Guide to the Synchronization, Calibration, Installation and Testing of PMUs for Power System Protection and Control Awaiting publication; C31: C37.120 Protection System Redundancy for Power System Reliability; C26: C37.233 IEEE Guide for Power System Protection Testing Approved to ballot by Subcommittee. Working Group C26 moved to extend the PAR for IEEE PC37.233, Guide for Power System Protection Testing, for 1 year.
The Line Protection (D) Subcommittee reports: D28: C37.230 Guide for Protective Relay Applications to Distribution Lines – Published. Working Group D46 started to create summary paper. D39 Revise C37.104 IEEE Guide for Automatic Reclosing for AC Distribution and Transmission Lines – Voted to Create Ballot Body; D47: Revise C37.243 Guide for Application of Digital Line Current Differential Relays Using Digital Communications
The Relaying Communications and Control Subcommittee (H) reports: H22 IEEE Guided PC37.249 Guide for Categorizing Security Needs for Protection Related Data Files received approval to form IEEE-SA Sponsor Ballot Pool; H32 Channel Performance Considerations for Ethernet Circuits Applied to Teleprotection was disbanded. H35 Submitted edited draft of TR COMTRADE: Next Generation for final review to HSC members.
HTF52 Motion to revise C37.232 IEEE Standard for Common Format for Naming Time Sequence Data Files. Motion to form HTF to revise IEEE C37.111-2013/IEC 60255-24:2013 Standard for Common Format for Transient Data Exchange (COMTRADE) for Power Systems.
Relaying Practices Subcommittee (I) reports: I31 is working on IEEE 1613, and I37 on IEEE C37.90. I29 is working on PC37.110 – IEEE Draft Guide for the Application of Current Transformers Used for Protective Relaying Purposes – Revision of C37.110-2007. I32 is working on a Survey of Protective System Test Practices and soliciting PSRC community to identify survey respondents.
- I36 – IEEE PC37.90.2 Standard for Relays, Relay Systems, and Control Devices used for Protection and Control of Electric Power Apparatus – Radiated Electromagnetic Interference Withstand Capability Requirements and Tests – Revision of C37.90.2-2004 – Final draft completed and Subcommittee approved to proceed to Ballot.
- I35 – IEEE PC37.2 Standard Electrical Power System Device Function Numbers, Acronyms, and Contact Designations — Revision of C37.2-2008 – Submitted for Mandatory Editorial Review by IEEE-SA and proceeding to form balloting body.
TF elevated to new WG for existing Guides/Standards:
- I46 – PAR to Revise IEEE C57.13.3-2014 – IEEE Guide for Grounding of Instrument Transformer Secondary Circuits and Cases (expires 2024)
- I47 – PAR to Revise IEEE C37.231-2006(R2012) – IEEE Recommended Practice for Microprocessor Based Protection Equipment Firmware Control (expires 2022)
New TF for existing Guides/Standards expiring soon:
- ITF48 – Review IEEE C37.103-2015 – IEEE Guide for Differential and Polarizing Relay Circuit Testing and determine need for revisions (expires 2025).
Rotating Machinery Protection Subcommittee (J) reports:
- J13 Modeling generator controls (report)
- J14 Power plant protection issues associated with black starting of generators
Both reports essentially complete, incorporating comments from MC officers
Now have four PAR activities:
- J16 Revise C37.101 Generator ground protection: requesting PAR extension (3yr)
- J17 Revise C37.102 AC generator protection: WG ballot initiated, requesting PAR extension (1yr) • J19 Revise C37.106 Abnormal Frequency: WG ballot initiated, sponsor ballot by end of 2021 • J22 Revise C37.96 Motor protection: PAR scope/purpose developed • J21 Motor protection tutorial. New task force JTF23 Investigate the need for a WG to develop a report on synchronous condenser protection
Substation Protection (K) Subcommittee reports:
Published guide! – C37.108-2021, IEEE Guide for Protection of Secondary Network Systems
Established WG’s continuing work: – K10 – SCC21 DER std coordination – K12 – Static Shunt Compensators – K25 – Shunt Capacitors – K26 – Shunt Reactors – K27 – Utility-Consumer Interconnections – K29 – Reducing outage durations
Future Meetings: Sep 20 – 23, 2021 – Virtual • Jan 9 – 12, 2022 –Garden Grove, CA • May 9-12, 2022 – Reno, NV
Working groups, task forces and subcommittees will meet again in September 2021. The PSRC continues to recruit additional participants to offer their expertise and knowledge in the areas of power system relaying.
Catherine Dalton is a Strategic AccountExecutive at EPRI. Shehas broad experiencein the electric utilityindustry. She is aSenior Member ofthe IEEE, and anactive participantin IEEE PES PSRC.She has a Master’sdegree in electricalengineering (OhioState University,) and a MBA from the University of Dayton. Previously she workedfor American ElectricPower, Basler Electric,SEL and BeckwithElectric.